Home FAQs

Straightforward answers to common questions

We’ve been providing insurance for more than 20 years, so we’ve established that often it is the same questions that crop up time and time again. If you’ve got a question, the answer might be here. If it isn’t, feel free to get in touch and one of our team will be happy to help you.

What factors will determine the price of my policy?

Motorbike insurance companies will look at a number of factors when calculating your premium including:

  • Age (Republic of Ireland limited to age 25 to 69)
  • Riding history
  • Mileage
  • Address
  • Where the vehicle is kept
  • Motorbike type (Republic of Ireland, we only accept bikes126cc or over)
  • Security system
  • Level of excess
Please note that we can’t give you a motorbike insurance quote until you’re actually 16 years of age in the UK and age 25 to 69 inclusive for Republic of Ireland bikers.

How can I lower the cost of my motorbike insurance?

There are a few ways in which you could lower your motorbike insurance including:

  • Park in a secure area or garage
  • Increase your bike’s security by adding an alarm or immobiliser
  • Limit your mileage
  • Avoid modified motorbikes
  • Where the vehicle is kept
  • Choose a motorbike with a less powerful engine (Republic of Ireland, we only accept bikes 126cc or over)
  • Take the IAM’s advanced riding course (https://www.iamroadsmart.com/ or iami.ie) or have a successful BikeSafe assessment. (Bike Safe or Garda)

What types of motorbike insurance policies are available?

The three main cover types are Comprehensive, Third party, Fire and Theft and ThirdParty Only. Third Party policies are not necessarily the cheapest option and provide only a limited amount of cover, so make sure you shop around to find the right deal for you. Telematics policies have yet to make an impact in the bike market.

What is CBT?

In the UK CBT is short for Compulsory Basic Training which all learner motorbike and moped riders must have. In certain circumstances they’re not required, for example if you’ve held a driving or moped licence for a long time, although even then CBT is recommended. For more information, visit the gov.uk website or rsa.ie website for Republic of Ireland bikers.

Am I covered to ride other motorcycles?

Some policies will allow this with the other bike owner’s permission as long as their bike has valid insurance already. The extension to ride other bikes only applies to the policyholder and NOT named drivers. Cover will be restricted to Third Party only and certain occupations will be excluded. Check your schedule of cover and the policy terms and conditions.

Do I need to insure my motorbike for the entire year?

UK – Yes, unless it has been declared as off road and a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) has been received and accepted by the DVLA. Republic of Ireland – Yes unless it is only used off road in which case no insurance is require.

What is protected no claims bonus (NCB)?

If you have full NCB, you may be able to add protected no claims bonus which allows claims against your own policy without losing your NCB. Please check your policy wording for full details.

Can I apply my no claims bonus to a second motorbike?

No, the no claims bonus applies to a single motorbike; it can be transferred to an alternative bike but it can’t be applied to an additional motorcycle or another vehicle.

Does my insurance cover a passenger?

This will depend on your policy – note that premiums may be cheaper if you exclude insurance for pillion passengers. Remember that you will then not be permitted to give a lift to anyone on your motorbike.

Can I ride my bike abroad?

Yes, cover is included as standard to ride your motorcycle in certain European countries for a certain designated period of time; some insurers will require you to notify us prior to travel.
Check your schedule of cover and the policy terms and conditions for full details.

Why might I need motor legal assistance?

Having motor legal assistance could save you a pretty penny if you are involved in a motoring accident and need to make a claim, or if another driver makes a claim against you.
It can pay for legal fees such as solicitors’ costs, as well as compensating for lost earnings and even the excess you have to pay under your bike insurance policy.

What additional options can I consider?

Add-ons that you may want to consider include:

  • Breakdown cover
  • Helmets & Leather cover (UK only)
  • Legal Assistance